NOSEY BIO: Loud, brass, and tastelessly attired, I.B. Nosey is famed for his exuberant “Greetings, cybernuts! This is I.B. Nosey, your official unofficial reporter!” He seeks answers to the kind of probing questions no accredited journalist would deem intelligent, let alone newsworthy enough, to ask. Fleet of foot, wide of mouth, and fluent of tongue-in-cheek, I.B. Nosey’s unique interviewing style is comparable to none.

Winner of the Pukelitzer Award. Spokesman for Gum Drop Island’s confectionary plantation. Featured in InD’Tale magazine and The Woven Tale Press.


Wednesday, May 3, 2017



Greetings, cyber-nuts. This is I.B. Nosey, your official unofficial reporter reporting to you from my official unofficial post with The Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop.

Don't know what IWSG is? Well, visit the above link and you'll discover that author Alex J. Cavanaugh put together his swell blog in an effort to help authors succeed in their writing. And the list of authors that've signed up demonstrate how much they appreciate his effort.

I, as I.B. Nosey, have borrowed the question from Alex's site which my author, Miss Mae, will be only too happy (heh heh) to answer!

The question: What is the weirdest/coolest thing you ever had to research for your story?

Miss Mae: Okay, for my books I seek to stay in my safe zones, meaning I don't get too technical or create a setting that I don't know a little bit of something about. However, in my romantic mystery, "Catch Me If You Can", there are some references to "computer geek talk"...as in pixels, hiding code, encryption. Also, I have a "person of interest" who works in a "place of interest".

Gulp. For a stay-at-home Georgia housewife, these points became a challenge.

And Google wasn't much help! LOL

However, just when I needed it, I was contacted by someone who wished for me to interview him. That was Mike Angley, Special Agent OSI (USAF ret.) And, with his knowledge and background, he supplied the information I needed.

Whew.

So now, it's a hasty retreat back to my snug, safe, 'only-imagination' zone. :)

Also, the IWSG site states: "Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance."

I appreciate that statement because this month I'd like to inquire how writers build a newsletter list of subscribers. Though I downloaded and have attempted to follow through on Nick Stephenson's ebook, ummm...not working for me as Nick promised!

Nick advises giving away a free book. I'm giving away three, with that handy link to sign up at my newsletter included...but no takers.

So, if you've found a successful way to entice subscribers, care to share? :) Thanks!



*****

Until next month, this is I.B. Nosey signing off. Be sure to visit the IWSG link and hop over to participating blogs. Also, follow on Twitter @TheIWSG with the hashtag #IWSG.

5 comments:

Tamara Narayan said...

That's an excellent question on the newsletter thing. I've found with blog comments and followers, that if you want them, you have to be willing to comment and follow others. So have you signed up for author's newsletter? Maybe they'll reciprocate. Other than that, my guess is to keep up with your social media as best you can.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Talking to a real person is always best. They can give you the real low down and skinny.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Well ... I haven't done a good job with my newsletter in about a month. In fact (oops), I didn't get a newsletter out in April. But, so far, from my speck of knowledge, I think that I get at least one suscriber every time I remember to add a link to it at the bottom of my post. The sidebar just never seems to attract any attention.
For better, more in-depth knowledge - go check out Christine Rains' blog. I know she had a post on there about a month ago about newsletters and she had the best tips I've seen in a while.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

OSI! He knew all the secrets.
Welcome to the IWSG!

Jennifer Williams-Fields said...

I have been a horrible failure at newsletters. I have found success with my Facebook Writer's page (different than my personal page). Have you tried that?